Penny has remained a staple of Kingston for a number of years now whilst other venues have come and gone. This seems to be due largely to the fact that they have gotten their formula right; consistently good food, coffee, atmosphere, and service.
It is easily one of my most favourite breakfast haunts in all of Canberra (if not my most favourite). The breakfast and lunch menu’s are both absolute bangers and they offer them BOTH all day until 3.00pm. Take note everyone else!
The fit out of the venue is beautifully relaxing and has been really well thought out. It incorporates a number of the original details of the building (which is arguably one of the oldest original shopping centres in Canberra) with a modern open kitchen.
I have been a loyal patron for years and so long as the formula doesn’t change I will endeavour to return time and time again. If Penny U. sold varsity jackets I’d be wearing one as I write this!
Can’t decide where to go for brunch today? Stop looking.
- Breakfast till 3.00pm everyday! Oh rejoice hungover people. Get the Avo Dish with Pialligo bacon, you’re welcome.
- The interior fit out. Super functional but is also very empathetic to the remaining original pieces of the historic building.
- Attention to detail with the food is second to none. Close your eyes and point at the menu if you can’t decide. You won’t be disappointed.
- The staff are generally A1. In the past if they were full up they were happy to take our number and gave us a buzz when a table popped up.
Not So Much…
- The price. Don’t get me wrong the food and drinks on offer are sublime, but maybe save this one for a visit on ‘pay week’.
- Only one toilet per gender. Not a massive deal breaker but this place can seat a hoard of people and it does often fill up meaning you have to watch the John like a sniper if you’re busting!
15 Kennedy Street, Kingston, ACT